[RFC] Introduce a Code of Conduct for EulerDAO

Title: [RFC] introduce a Code of Conduct for EulerDAO

Author(s): @DAOstewards

Related Discussions: Euler Governance Process v0

Submission Date: [Enter Date]

Simple Summery .

This RFC aims to introduce a Code of Conduct which governs the members of Euler DAO.

Abstract:

This post asks the community for input in forming a code of conduct for the DAO and how to enforce it. A code of conduct helps an organisation maintain common communication standards, ultimately strengthening decision-making. We have made some suggestions on how these could look, but we look forward to further community feedback.

Example: Abuse of power as a Delegate through spamming Sanpshopt with multiple proposals that haven’t followed due process. Title: [Fast track] Grant Proposal 8: Pause all grants until the Questbook RFC is voted on.

Specification:

1. What behaviours do we want to see in the DAO?

Suggestions based on what other DAOs have adopted:

• Demonstrating empathy and kindness toward other people
  • Being respectful of differing opinions, viewpoints, and experiences
  • Giving and gracefully accepting constructive feedback
  • Accepting responsibility and apologising to those affected by our mistakes and learning from the experience
  • Focusing on what is best not just for us as individuals but for the overall community
  • Using welcoming and inclusive language
  • Acknowledging preferred gender pronouns
  • Collaborating with other community members

What do you think?

• Yes, I agree
  • No, I disagree
  • Other [comment below]

0 voters

1. What behaviours do we not want to see in the DAO?

Suggestions based on what other DAOs have adopted:

• Sexual harassment
  • Trolling, insulting or derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
  • Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
  • Public or private harassment
  • Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or email address, without their explicit permission
  • Sustained disruption of discussion
  • Misuse of authority (or access and power) of any kind. Including (but not limited to) attempts to harass, bully, intimidate, or ‘punish’ another member.
  • Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting.

What do you think?

• Yes, I agree
  • No, I disagree
  • Other [comment below]

0 voters

How do we enforce this?

1. Create an ombuds office, an informal, impartial, independent, neutral and confidential place for community members to address concerns.
  2. Add enforcement to the list of responsibilities of Active Delegates
  3. Anyone can cite violations and call a public vote with the suggested action.

What do you think? [comment below]

Enforcement Guidelines

We suggest the following guidelines for any group or individual suggesting actions against violations based on what other DAOs have adopted.

1. Correction: Use of inappropriate language or other behaviours deemed unwelcome, harmful or unprofessional.

Consequence: Flagged items can be hidden/deleted until review.

1. Warning: A violation through a single incident or series of actions.

Consequence: A warning with consequences for continued behaviour. No interaction with the people involved, including unsolicited interaction with those enforcing the Code of Conduct, for a specified period. This includes avoiding interactions in community spaces and external channels like social media. Violating these terms may lead to a temporary or permanent ban.

1. Temporary Ban: A severe violation of community standards, including sustained inappropriate behaviour.

Consequence: A temporary ban from interaction or public communication with the community for a specified period. No public or private interaction with the people involved, including unsolicited interaction with those enforcing the Code of Conduct, is allowed during this period. Violating these terms may lead to a permanent ban.

1. Permanent Ban: Demonstrating a pattern of violation of community standards, including sustained inappropriate behaviour, harassment of an individual, or aggression toward or disparagement of classes of individuals.

Consequence: A permanent ban from public interaction within the community.

1. Removal from position(s) of authority or access

Demonstrating a pattern of behaviour that constitutes a misuse of authority or access to things such as permissions, accounts, spaces, etc., all of which ultimately violate the community’s standards. This is not limited to a series of actions but includes a single incident.

Consequence: An immediate removal from any roles of authority or access (e.g. Moderator in Discord, access to social media accounts etc.)

What do you think?

• Yes, I agree
  • No, I disagree
  • Other [comment below]

0 voters

Scope.

The Code of Conduct applies to all spaces managed by or related to an individual’s status as a member of EulerDAO. The Scope of the document includes (but is not limited to) the Discord server itself, IRL meet-ups, Metaverse spaces, and other collaborative platforms utilised for Euler projects. Violations of this code outside these spaces may also affect a person’s ability to participate.

1. Next steps

We will compile responses to this post and create a proposal for the community to vote.

Disclaimer:

• No such process is perfect; ultimately, humans make decisions based on how they perceive the situation and their lived experiences.
  • This approach places further responsibilities on the community
  • Yes, I agree
  • No, I disagree
  • Modify the proposal

0 voters

1 Like

Hi @0xBaer! That a really in-depth analysis of the ethics culture. While some ideas are really important, I’m not sure the DAO needs it. It looks like a code of conduct for the big corporation (the one I try to leave, haha). Personally, I take this DAO as place of friends discussing things and developing the protocol together. I’m afraid that such a strict list of rules could undermine the atmosphere in the DAO. So far I cannot remember examples of unappropriate behaviour and even if such cases occur bad actors could be banned. I think there is a common understanding of people of what is ok and what is not. Excessive limits could discourage people from participation, imho

Hey @Raslambek, thanks for the comment; I do agree that this could be considered as a code on code of conduct for corporates, but we aren’t building an anarchist society; these rules are to keep members accountable and behave in an orderly manner; this could include surfacing any conflicts of interest when making proposals etc

1 Like